Lockdown Fried Chicken (LFC)
The Beard and I are definitely foodies, but we also have to admit that we're junk-foodies too.So because we haven’t had access to our favourite...uh...restaurants for a while we've had to figure out how to make our favourite dishes ourselves. And this one is a winner!We're calling it Lockdown Fried Chicken (LFC)…No prizes for guessing which is my favourite take-away.
- Chicken pieces
- Fair Cape Amasi
- Spices: whatever's in your cupboard - we used salt, pepper, mixed herbs, steak & chops spice, cinnamon and celery salt
- Oil for frying
- Boil the chicken pieces for an hour (we cook the chicken first so it doesn't have to cook so long in the oil)
- Pat the chicken dry and let it cool
- Soak the chicken pieces in amasi, cover and put in the fridge for at least an hour. I think this is the key step. You can just put all the pieces in a big Tupperware and fill it with amasi. After an hour or two, heat the oil. There needs to be enough oil to deep fry and it needs to be hot
- Put flour in a bowl and spice the flour
- Without shaking off too much amasi, dunk each chicken piece in the flour before frying for about 10 minutes.
And hey presto : LFC! I’m not going to lie, I was super impressed by this effort. The chicken was super tasty and not as oily as the original. Recipe by: The Bird and The Beard www.thebirdandthebeard.co.za @thebirdthebeard