Mama’s famous rusks
I was challenged by my lovely friend Zeenah from @mother.of.7 to make a ration friendly lockdown recipe using Fair Cape Dairies products. I have been missing my mama so much that I decided to make her famous buttermilk rusks but using Fair Cape amasi instead of buttermilk, and some coconut sugar instead of white sugar just to make it that little bit more healthy. I got Elijah involved and it really took me back to when I was little baking rusks with my mama.
- 1 kg Self-raising flour
- 500 g Butter
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Coconut sugar
- 1 Lt Fair Cape Dairies amasi
- 3 Eggs
- Crumb dry ingredients together using your hands – Elijah loved this part.
- Add the wet ingredients together and mix gently with a food mixer.
- Grease a large baking tin, pour batter into tin and bake in a preheated oven for 1hr at 180 degrees.
- Take out oven and cool for an hour.
- Break or cut the rusk pieces into hand held sizes.
- Spread them over two baking trays and pop them in the oven on the lowest setting with the door open for a few hours until they are properly dried out.
Dunk and enjoy! Recipe by: Our Sunshine Journey www.oursunshinejourney.wordpress.com @oursunshinejourney