Rich and Creamy Potato Soup
With the advent of the colder seasons comes my deep need for indulging in warm delicious comfort food. I know I'm not alone in this, and this rich and creamy potato soup that I've recently experimented with delivers wonderfully on taste and goes a long way to filling the bellies of my big little fam! The lovely @nashieta challenged me to come up with a #rationfriendly meal idea in partnership with Fair Cape Dairies. Here it goes…
- 6 Slices diced bacon (optional)
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Diced onion
- 3 tsp Crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 2 cups Chicken stock or veg stock
- 2 cups Fair Cape full cream milk (warmed)
- 6 Large potatoes diced
- 1 cup Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Fair Cape plain yogurt
- 1 tsp Sea salt or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Cracked black pepper
- In a deep pot, diced bacon (optional) in a little olive oil. Remove and keep aside.
- Add butter to medium heat pot and sauté diced onion until translucent.
- Add crushed garlic and stir until fragrant, then add all-purpose flour and stir till mixed.
- Stir in chicken stock or veg stock (can substitute one of the cups of water with milk as base if using stock powder).
- Add Fair Cape full cream milk (warmed) and potatoes.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring often so bottom of pot doesn't burn.
- Once the potatoes are soft, if you like smooth soup, remove from pot to blend now and return to pot, otherwise leave it chunky.
- Finally add the shredded cheddar cheese, the fried bacon, Fair Cape plain yogurt, sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
I serve it with a topping of diced peppers, coriander and a generous sprinkling of cajun spice for a real flavour kick. This soup is filling on its own with a slice of ciabatta but also a great accompaniment to a seared hake or juicy steak! I've been the absolute slacker in the kitchen lately, but this challenge was what I needed to help me get back in there and CREATE! (And feed my always hungry fambam.) Recipe by: The Milk Memoirs www.themilkmemoirs.com @traxgport