Traditional Melktert Recipe using Fair Cape
I have accepted a challenge from Fair Cape Dairies to come up with a #RationFriendly recipe using Fair Cape products. The idea was to using products that are already in my pantry and fridge to whip up something interesting and I opted for trying something that I have not made myself before. My first time was not too shabby, and though it may be a time consuming recipe, it generally is quite easy to follow and delicious. This recipe serves 6.
- 1 Egg
- 62 g Real butter, softened not melted
- 15 ml Cooking oil
- 1 cup Self raising flour
- 1/2 cup Cake flour
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 500 + 125 ml Fair Cape milk
- 6 Eggs
- 125 ml Sugar
- 3 Cardamom pods
- 1 Cinnamon stick
For the Base
- In a mixing bowl add all wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add the flour and baking powder to form a soft ball of dough.
- Use half of the dough to line out a 20 cm X 20 cm oven proof dish. The dough should be as thin as possible with NO holes. It is extremely important that there are no holes in the base. If there are holes it will flop and the milktart will come out upside down.
For the Filling
- Boil the milk in a saucepan with the cardamom and stick cinnamon. Allow to cool.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Strain the cooled milk and combine the milk and the eggs mixture.
- Pour the filling into the dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 40 minutes until set.
Recipe by : Mother of 7 https://zeenahrahim.wixsite.com/motherof7blog @mother.of.7