Creamy sides for steak
Shoutout to @audaciously_sels for challenging me to take on the @faircapedairies #rationfriendly #lockdownrecipe Challenge! I’ve been using the kitchen as an outlet for my anxiety lately – as I’m sure many of us have been doing through these uncertain times. I’m a carnivore and a sucker for a fire grilled T-bone steak and what goes with it better than the classics? Creamed spinach or mushroom sauce??
For Spinach sauce
- As much chopped spinach as you need
- 1 Finely chopped onion
- 2 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tbsp Butter for frying
- 150 ml Fair Cape Dairies fresh cream
For Mushroom sauce
- 250 g Chopped button mushrooms
- 1-2 tbsp Butter for frying
- 100 ml Fair Cape Dairies fresh cream
For the Spinach sauce
- Blanche or steam as much chopped spinach as you need (remember, it wilts with heat).
- In a separate pan, fry finely chopped onion and crushed garlic in a tablespoon of butter.
- Add your spinach and you Fair Cape fresh cream.
- For a thicker consistency, mix a teaspoon of flour with enough water to make a smooth paste, and add to pan.
- Salt and pepper to taste and voila!
For the Mushroom sauce
- Sauté the chopped button mushrooms until brown in a tablespoon or two of butter. The colour of the mushroom will determine the colour of your sauce, so don’t be afraid to let them really get dark.
- Add your Fair Cape fresh cream and stir until you’re happy with the consistency!
- Drizzle over your steak and dig in! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My secret for a punchy creamed spinach is a teaspoon of English mustard. Recipe by: Empress Becca @empress_becca