Mac & Cheese for people who don’t like Mac & Cheese
Tired of the same old Mac and Cheese? Or maybe you just don't like it... Well either way give this yummy recipe a go and see if we've changed your mind!
- 1 Onion, chopped fine
- 1 tsp Diced garlic
- 1 pack Diced bacon
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 60 ml Butter/marg
- 250 ml Fair Cape Fresh Cream
- 500 ml Warm milk
- Mixed herb spice, or salt/pepper to taste
- 3 cups Grated cheese
- 500 g Macaroni (or any beautiful type of pasta you like!)
- Boiling water
- Fry your bacon in a non-stick pan until beautifully brown (without burning), and then fry your onions and garlic in the bacon grease. Set aside.
- Warm your milk in the microwave.
- This next part requires you to move FAST. Melt butter in a separate pot on medium heat, and when completely melted, add the flour and quickly begin to whisk. It should form a paste consistency. (if too floury, add a little butter. if too much butter, add a little bit of flour).
- Add a splash of your warm milk to the butter and flour paste, and whisk again to form a smooth consistency. Add a little bit of milk again, and whisk. Repeat this until all your milk is added.
- Pour in all your Fair Cape Fresh Cream to your sauce.
- Let your sauce cook for a few minutes, continually stirring.
- Add your salt/pepper or dried herb spices to taste, and add ONE cup of grated cheese.
- Cook your pasta, as normal in a separate pot. Drain pasta after cooking.
- Add your bacon & onion mix to the cooked pasta, mix well. Pour over your sauce, and give it a good stir again.
- Pour your Mac & Cheese into an oven-proof serving dish, and evenly place the rest of the cheese over your Mac & Cheese. Sprinkle a touch of paprika over it all – just enough to give a colour.
- Bake in the oven at 180C until cheese is melted or browned (to your taste) and serve!
I absolute know you’ll love these recipes and can’t wait to see you try them too! Please tag me in your creations! For more #rationfriendly recipes, head over to Fair Cape Dairies. Recipe by: Mama to the Power of 4 www.mama4.co.za @mama_to_the_power_of_4